nagios-statd

Thu Sep 18 07:36:49 CEST 2003

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 01:35:29PM +0100, Tony Howat wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I started rewriting nagios_statd (the python version) in C when a little
> bored, without really considering whether it's actually necessary. The
> situation here is that our critical boxes don't have python installed, and
> i'm not about to tinker with them in order to install it. We previously
> used the netsaint perl equivalent of statd, and I'm now using that with
> nagios - but it'd be nice if we could stay up to date.

FWIW, Nick Reinke is the best person to ask about _statd.

However, my observations are that the Perl version didn't do too many
extraordinary things and that therefore the Py version is unlikely to
have changed too much from the Perl (I formed the opinion that Mr Reinke
had used _statd as an opportunity to learn both languages although he
was obviously a coder of some maturity before that).

If you are going to maintain a "port" of _statd, good luck to you and
yes, porting from P\w+ to C is likely to dispell boredom.

Now if you are really bored, you could consider a Parse::RecDescent
parser for a Py subset that spits out a Perl version (if that is a
suitable port target).

That may save you some work .... learning.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.