Some questions about redundant monitoring

javier at rediris.es javier at rediris.es
Thu Sep 4 12:17:54 CEST 2003

Hello, we are extending our nagios installation with a second server,
which we pretend to use as a failover one, and we are facing the
inter-nagios communication issues. The basic communication is done by
mean of passive checks, and we are interested in more advanced communication.

Specifically, it might be very interesting to allow propagation of commands
issued with the cgi interface (as downtimes, acks, etc). I have only two
ideas to acomplish that

1 - modify the 'write_command_to_file' function on cgis to submit the
command to the other nagios nodes as passive checks

2 - Modify the function that reads the external command file (I think it is
'check_for_external_commands') to send to the other nodes the contents of
the file. This accounts also for standard passive checks, but needs some
way to recognize that the node is active.

Any input is very wellcomed either from simple ideas or from previous
experiences.

							Javier Palacios