Configure changes to nrpe to get it to build on Solaris 8

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Jun 19 17:44:39 CEST 2003

I'm not sure whether nrpe was expected to build on Solaris 8 or not, but it
didn't for me under the following circumstances:

    * gcc 3.2.3 as installed from the SunFreeware site

    * no other GNU tools (just Sun's make, ar, etc in /usr/ccs/bin)

    * OpenSSL in /usr/local/ssl/... (again, installed from binaries on
      SunFreeware)

I encountered the following problems:

    * There was no definition of u_int32_t - whatever was there in the
      configure script wasn't working.  I ripped out what was there and
      added a AC_DEFINE_INTEGER_BITS m4 macro and associated supporting bits
      I found at

        http://www.gnu.org/software/ac-archive/htmldoc/ac_define_integer_bits.html

      This seems to be more reliable.

    * -I/usr/local/ssl/include was not included in CFLAGS.  I tweaked the
      OpenSSL detection and added -I$ssldir/include to CFLAGS if $ssldir
      wasn't /usr or /usr/local (explicitly adding /usr/include or
      /usr/local/include to include file search paths makes gcc complain).

I used autoconf 2.57 on my Mac OS X system to rebuild the configure file
then copied the generated configure file and other modified files to the
Solaris system and verified that nrpe would build on both platforms.  I also
copied the modified package over to a RH 7.3 system and verified I could
rebuild configure with autoconf (2.53 - it failed with 2.13) and
successfully configure and build the package there as well.

Attached is the context diff.

--
Skip Montanaro
skip at pobox.com