check_disk behaviour for SAN hiccups

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Jun 18 19:03:37 CEST 2003

A firmware upgrade was applied to our Hitachi SAN last night.  One of the hosts attached to it burped and didn't recover.  Here's one of the alerts that Nagios gave us:

[quote]
***** Nagios 1.1 *****

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: Space on /ora_backup
Host: itdmln16
Address: itdmln16
State: WARNING

Date/Time: Tue Jun 17 22:52:19 CDT 2003

Additional Info:

Disk /ora_backup not mounted or nonexistant
[end quote]

Should this only be a 'warning'?

When one of my peers tried to do an 'ls' on the root directory, he got the brief listing of the various files, directories and mount points.  When he tried to do an "ls -l", he got a couple I/O errors and then the long listing for all the files, directories and mount points, minus the 2 SAN-based mount points.

Granted, this is a funky result for a single system; all the other hosts connected to the same SAN didn't have any such problem.  Still, it would have been nice if the plugin had returned a 'critical' instead of a 'warning', as that notification would have also been sent to the on-call pager.

jc