New feature request - action field

Andrius Adomaitis andrius at skynet.lt
Thu Jun 12 18:50:43 CEST 2003

Hello,

Nagios is perfect tool which I love and use to monitor more that 300 servers
and network devices. But there is one feature that I REALLY miss - "action"
link
icon - ability to associate some action with host or service, that could be
called via simple link.

How I imagine this...

Let's take menu Item "Status Summary", and we'll see "Status Summary For All
Host Groups".
Then let's take some Host group - "Private linux servers", and we'll get
"Service Overview For Host Group 'private_linux'" with table, having "Host |
Status | Services | Actions"
column fields. Now in this last "Actions" column I would like to see let's
say "Hammer" Icon,
that is associated with some cgi link of mine, that initiates corresponding
host reboot via APC power switch or so.

And NO, "Additional Notes For This Host" (notes_url in hostextinfo) is not
ok here, because:
1. You need to open host's information page, which is 2 pages deeper, what
means more browsing, more time spent;
2. I noticed that many admins put in notes_url some statistics pages, like
mrtg graphs (as I do), traffic counters and so on,
so if you want to retain ability to view mrtg and also have some action
configuration like reboot you are stuck with only one url.

What I propose is to introduce action_url in hostextinfo, which, if defined
will appear as "Hammer"
icon in "Actions" column field in "Service Overview For Host Group XXX".

Would be nice, of course to see notes_url icon in "Actions" too.

And btw. the same could apply to services.

Is it possible to implement, please?

Andrius