PHP user interface for Nagios

John Arley Burns johnarleyburns at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 15:35:03 CEST 2003

--- Jesús M. NAVARRO <jesus_navarro at undominio.net> wrote:
> Hi, John:
>
> El Lunes, 2 de Junio de 2003 23:23, John Arley Burns escribió:
> > This is good.  I'm using Nagios in a context where I need
> form-based
> > authentication.  It would also be helpful if you could have screens
> to "edit config" as well as view it.
> >

> The "view config" option is merely a wrapper around the config.cgi
> CGI, since
> that was my very first idea: if I can just drop in a few PHP classes
> so I
> have the same functionality current Nagios ui has, then I can go at
> my own
> pace adding functionality or rewriting CGIs as I feel I can, and
> still using
> the byproduct on a day by day basis.

There is a PHP program that allows editing of config files named
"NAGAT", available on the "Extras" download page off the main Nagios
site.  Perhaps you could merge this into your own.

> As you can see what you propose is not a technical nigthmare, still
> it needs a
> config access abstraction, which is not trivial (since that config
> can be
> found into flat files, databases or, potentially any remote access
> procedure)
> and the "high level" access interface, so it seems not a few hours
> task.
> Anyway I want a graphic configuration tool too, one that does respect
> any
> by-hand change I'd do, comments and the like, so there's high chance
> I'll go
> for it.

As long as the GUI changes are compatible with editing by hand or, in
my case, editing by program.

> On the other hand, you know this is open source: how could you help
> with this?

I'm currently working on getting debian packaging working for Nagios,
the current debian package has some problems.  I'll release it to
debian when it's ready.

The main piece I'll eventually contribute is probably in the monitoring
area.  NSCA is a good start for a basic system but I need something
that's far more secure and works over HTTPS.  I'm currently not sure if
extending NSCA is better or developing an entirely new add-on agent.
That's probably going to be my major contribution to Nagios.