'parents' and network latency

Rainer sourceforge at powered.net
Sat Jul 19 01:10:52 CEST 2003

Hello,

Let's assume I have a "deep" network topology (with many parent hosts above
the Nagios box), such as:

Nagios Server => Switch 01 => Switch 02 => Firewall => Packet Shaper =>
Router => ...

When the 'parents' directive is properly setup and "Switch 01" goes down,
check-host-alive tells me it went down, and supresses notifications for all
the other hosts.
Now, if "Switch 01" if heavely loaded and my fping service finds out it has
a 500ms rta, all other hosts above it (switch 02, firewall etc) will have
response times equal or bigger than 500ms.
My question is, in this scenario, how can I supress critical messages from
the fping service regarding all other hosts which are slow because of
switch 01 ? (having fping figure out that, since the host above it is slow,
it doesn't need to notify me about all other hosts)
Perhaps this could be implemented in a future Nagios version (an option in
nagios.cfg such as "apply_parents_directive_to_network_latency")

PS: This could be accomplished with service dependency (maybe?), but it
wouldn't be practical since I would have to create several dependency
checks for each parent host, which would make it really hard to maintain.

Regards,
Rainer Alves
Unisys Brazil