Hostgroup Authorization Change

Rob Nelson rob at capband.net
Tue Jul 8 16:33:53 CEST 2003

>Current State:
>
>If a user has rights to view at least one host (but not all)
>in a particular hostgroup, they are able to see the hostgroup in the
>CGIs.  However, the hosts that the are listed in the hostgroup are
>only the ones they have access to.  I don't think its desirable to
>show a "clipped" version of a hostgroup like this, as its a bit
>deceiving.
>

>Proposed Change:
>
>In order to view a specific hostgroup (or commit commands for a it)
>user would have to have rights to view *all* hosts in that hostgroup.

IMO this would be better solved if there was a read and a write access, if
you had write access to some hosts in a group you could also have read
access. This way the hostgroup wouldn't be clipped, necessarily, the person
just wouldn't be able to view anything more than "OK, Warn, Crit" for a
host. If they didn't have read access, then it would be clipped.

Personally, I like the current state. We outsource our tech support and I
want them to see what's happening at each site as it affects the clients. I
don't necessarily want or need them to see the state of SSH on our internal
VPN or the memory usage of a server.

Rob Nelson
Network Administrator, Capitol Broadband
C: 919-369-1874
rob at capband.net