Ask for integration of a new functionality of cartography

Tue Jul 1 02:05:32 CEST 2003

Dear Sir,

This looks like a beautiful piece of work and a very worthwhile
enhancement to Nagios.

I am sure that many Nag users will find the prospect of providing maps
as a background or replacement to the status map, very attractive.

The Nagios author reserves to himself control of the project and the
right to accept or reject patches (you can read his own words about this
at ...  sorry, I can no longer find it. I think the main consideration
is that, if it goes into the Nag core, where he will have to not only
maintain it, but also be responsible for it, that it be maintainable [ie
at least one other than you can understand the patches] and not conflict
with the directions of the project or work in progress).

However you may find it worthwhile to read
http://www.nagios.org/upcoming.php which outlines the developers views
about the future of the product (for example, in V3, the web
interface/CGIs will be replaced by PHP).

Contributing subject to these caveats is easy and described at
http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=96&expand=false&showdesc=true

Basically, post uni diffs to the nagios-devel list at SourceForge
(nagios-devel at lists.sourceforge.net).

Once again, thank you for your work and your willingness to share it.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.