Feedback on Nagios

Marcus Vogt mgvogt at bigpond.com.au
Sun Dec 14 01:47:42 CET 2003

Hi,

Jason Martin wrote:

>>Now this isn't a major problem for us - I wrote discovery scripts in
>>perl that given a list of
>>

>Would you be interested in sharing this script?

I am happy to, but I have to get approval from work for this.  I'll talk
to them during the
week.  Please  be aware though that even though they work they are still
what I would
call prototypes.

>>Currently with the first sweep of discovery (excluding networking type
>>queries) we ended up with around
>>300 hosts and 1500 services with checking of services every 5 minutes.
>> This absolutely hammered CPU of the
>>box it was on (Sun E250 Dual CPU and 2Gb Memory).  This was okay, we
>>used the embedded perl option
>>and this got us to just under 100% utilisation.  Yes this is an issue
>>with the plugins and I'll discuss this later.
>>

>Perl really isn't a great idea for plugins that get executed frequently;
>it's just too large of a process.  I've head that using perlcc improves
>matters as well.

Perl is expensive to start up, but I find it a darn good prototyping
tool :)  I was hoping the
embedded perl would help matters (which it does a fair bit) but I have
not tried perlcc for
the plugins.  My intention is to take the lessons from the perl
prototypes and implement
in C as I discussed at the bottom of the original email.

>>tool for further processing.
>>such as counters.  Admittedly we run this at maximum nice levels to
>>ensure it does not impact primary
>>data collection work.
>>

>You might consider splitting the graphing mechanism off to a different
>machine to lighten the load on the collector.

Unfortunately, this is not practical in my environment at this time.

>>** Nagios does not natively deal with counters - not really a Nagios
>>problem, just an observation. i.e. write your
>>

>I believe one of the selling points of Nagios is that it is completely
>plugin agnostic -- it cares not what you are monitoring. Going down the
>path of making it understand what certain plugins are doing would probably
>greatly increase complexity and reduce stability.

I agree that plugins are one of Nagios's main selling points.  I like
that I am not limited to
provided queried as I am with NNM.  I have already created plugins that
use RRD tool
to handle counters.  It just would have been "nice" to have that feature
in Nagios.

>>This is a real concern as NNM can do this without even breaking a sweat
>>- admittedly it does not have the dependency type
>>information included.
>>

>I think a more accurate comparison would be if you left out the dependency
>information when taking the timings.

True.   It will be dificult (getting the time approved at work) to
provide a "fair" comparison
between the two.

>>I have seen patches to improve performance on this (have not yet
>>implemented/tested) and I think this is improved on the next
>>version.
>>

>The docs indicate that Nagios will create a 'compiled' config file for the
>CGI's to read that will be less expensive.

That sounds like a real improvement.  Given that this project lives or
dies by the perception
I did not consider it wise to go with a development version at this
stage.  I'll trial it when
it gets officially released.

>>** I am not sure that active checks scale at all well under Nagios.
>>

>You can also use distributed monitoring if you've maxed out your active
>check capacity on a given machine.

Good point.  I have not played with this yet - though it is scheduled
for other reasons.  I'll
let people know how it goes when I get there.

>- -Jason Martin

Cheers,

Marcus.