Error: Invalid hostgroup object directive

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Dec 4 23:32:27 CET 2003

'/etc/nagios/hostgroups.cfg'
> on line 5.
>

> my hostgroup entry looks like
>
> # 'INTERNET' host group definition
> define hostgroup{
>   hostgroup_name  INTERNET
>   alias   Internet
>   contact_groups  network-admins
>   members   WEST,EAST
>   }
>
> my contactgroups.cfg file looks like
> # 'network-admins' contact group definition
> define contactgroup{
>   contactgroup_name network-admins
>   alias     Network Administrators
>   members     username1, username2

According to the somewhat updated documentation for 2.0, you can not
define contact_groups in a hostgroup block. The other sections on that
page appear to be fully up to date so I have no reason to suspect that
this section isn't as well --

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/*checkout*/nagios/nagios/html/docs
/xodtemplate.html?content-type=text%2Fplain&rev=1.14#hostgroup

Host Group Definition

A host group definition is used to group one or more hosts together for
display purposes in the CGIs.

Definition Format:

Note: Directives in red are required, while those in black are optional.

define hostgroup{
 hostgroup_name hostgroup_name
 alias alias
 members members
    }

Example Definition:

define hostgroup{
	hostgroup_name		novell-servers
	alias			Novell Servers
	members			netware1,netware2,netware3,netware4
	}

Directive Descriptions:

hostgroup_name: This directive is used to define a short name used to
identify the host group.
alias: This directive is used to define is a longer name or description
used to identify the host group. It is provided in order to allow you to
more easily identify a particular host group.
members: This is a list of the short names of hosts that should be
included in this group. Multiple host names should be separated by
commas. This directive may be used as an alternative to the hostgroups
directive in host definitions.