Nagios Statistics

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Dec 4 19:31:21 CET 2003

*nod*. Then either a stop/reset/restart will work or you can spend the
time poking through the code to reset it internally and patch
appropriately but...

> It's just helpful to see "well crap, 50% of the time it's been
critical,
> 21% warning, and 29% ok", which I can easily put in my external
scripts
> using the mysql db.  I dunno, if it's stored in memory, it still would
be
> helpful to be able to reset it.  If I wrote a patch to make it
resetable,
> would it even remotely be considered for being included with the
nagios
> dist?  (asking so I can figure out if it's worth bothering to make it
> "pretty"...  I will probably write the patch regardless for our own
> purposes)

Only Ethan can say for sure whether it'll be accepted. I expect that
only bugfixes would be accepted for 1.1 and all new features would go
into 2.0 but I'm not a nagios developer. I for one wouldn't have much
use for the feature as I trust the log files to be a whole lot more
accurate than the internal state information. Before you start, I would
do a little research first --

http://www.nagios.org/upcoming.php - #5
	5. Internal state statistics for hosts and services are being
dropped

I'm going to bet that includes the specific counters you're looking at.
I haven't gone through the CVS to see if they're still there but I would
suggest that you do so before you go investing a lot of time into it.

--
Marc