[Nagiosplug-devel] perfdata routines

Bjørnar Bjørgum Larsen bjornar.bjorgum.larsen at ementor.no
Wed Dec 3 15:56:07 CET 2003

> Ton Voon wrote:
(...)
> > I think the standard perfdata should store as much info
> > as possible.
> > The "convert to a graph tool" can make the decision to
> > reduce down to integers.

I agree. Imagine responses that are usually well below 0.5, like ping responses in milliseconds. Wouldn't we have to rewrite the ping check (or some filter) to multiply the values by  10, 100 or 1000 before entering them in the integer-only RRDs (and then convert it back before displaying, because nobody wants to see ping response averages in micro- or nanoseconds)?

Karl DeBisschop wrote:
(...)
> Maybe the best answer is to use ints in most cases - leaving
> the basics of the current perfdata macro as they are. But to
> add a perfdataf function that makes floats for output.

If there's not some significant performance or disk space gain, I'd say go for floats everywhere, as that seems like a simpler solution than splitting up in two functions.

(...)
> So lets work it out in the
> next week or so, and hopefully the result will not entail big
> changes relative to 1.4.0alpha1

Godspeed!

:) Bjørnar