[Nagiosplug-devel] Writing a new universal cross-platform plugin?

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Wed Aug 6 01:25:50 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 18:03, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> I'm quite sure that this would benefit users. The reason of making a general
> plugin instead of mrtg, nsclient and all sorts of stuff is to simplify it
> all. SNMP is generally more tricky to set up than an agent on most systems

I found net-snmp to be very easy to implement.

> as you'll need to know SNMP, obviously. Most people don't.

When I first started plying with this, I did not know snmp either.

Without trying to sound rude, I humbly suggest it might be worth
people's time to learn.

I'll suggest a few reasons:

1) SNMP is available for switches, printers, temperature monitors, and a
host of other devices that you are not likely to be able to run your
universal plugin on.

2) SNMP can be very lightweight using the v1 protocol in secure
environments, or well secured using v3 in less secure situations

3) SNMP already monitors more than your plugin is likeky to address -
from number of open TCP connections to running prosesses to load to swap
sapce to version numbers of installed software, and more.

4) It should be easier to get access NAT blocks, VPNs, firewalls, etc
with SNMP where corporate policy may already exist and there are
external security audits that can be used to justify security policy.

5) SNMP already exists and works, as does the plugin to query it.

I don't want to say you should not have at it, but do not discount SNMP.
It is well worth the learning curve, it is quite reliable once
implemented, and there is virtue to the ide that the best programmers
are the ones that write the fewest lines of code.

my $0.02.

--
Karl