Possibility to avoid certain values which are way too deviant while calculating threshold

Anders Håål anders.haal at ingby.com
Wed Dec 17 20:25:48 CET 2014

Hi Rahul,
Its possible, but the question is what algorithm to use. The second
question would also be what would you do with the remaining set,
calculate a mean?
When it comes to exclude a deviant value it sound close to what is
called a outlier, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlier. There are a
number of mathematical solutions to this problem, but not sure which
would be applicable or correct. Check this link for a discussions on the
topic where one approach is using standard deviation, but from the
discussion it does not sound like a statistical correct approach.

If you or anyone else on this list find an good approach, I more then
happy to try it. In Bischeck its possible to plug in your own functions
as described in
http://www.bischeck.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Bischeck_installation_and_administration_guide.html#toc-Section-6.2
so you can easily do your own testing. Using the cache browser cli
http://www.bischeck.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Bischeck_installation_and_administration_guide.html#toc-Section-4.4
you can easily test your function.

Anders

--

Ingby<http://www.ingby.com>

IngbyForge<http://gforge.ingby.com>

bischeck - dynamic and adaptive thresholds for Nagios <http://www.bischeck.org>

anders.haal at ingby.com<mailto:anders.haal at ingby.com>

Mjukvara genom ingenjörsmässig kreativitet och kompetens

Ingenjörsbyn
Box 531
101 30 Stockholm
Sweden